Monarch Alert Affiliate Education
According to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, valid permitting is required for handling monarch butterflies. Fortunately, Monarch Alert is able to provide sub-permits through this education series, and a tag request form. Please watch all videos to completion in order to gain the expertise necessary to appropriately handle monarchs. If you are interested in tagging, there will be a short questionnaire/quiz at the end of this page in order to assess your knowledge.
The objectives of this series are to:
- Engage people across all levels of monarch knowledge
- Understand appropriate and safe handling and tagging procedures
- Accurately identify different categories of instars (monarch caterpillars)
- Understand how to collect data on O.E. prevalence
- Create a community for those who seek a positive change in their environment
Eggs and Larvae
Pupae and Adults
Tagging and O.E. Sampling
Monarch Conservation and Citizen Science Efforts
If you are interested in tagging, please respond to this assessment following the completion of our education material.
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback, please feel free to send us a question on our blog.