Interested in tagging?
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife requires those wishing to tag Monarch butterflies to become permitted.
CURRENTLY, NO ONE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA HAS PERMISSION TO TAG MONARCH BUTTERFLIES. THEREFORE MONARCH ALERT TAGGING PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY SUSPENDED. THIS SUSPENSION HAS BEEN PRECIPITATED BY THE STATE'S AUTHORITY TO REGULATE TAGGING OF MONARCH BUTTERFLY'S, THE CURRENT STATUS OF THE WESTERN MONARCH POPULATION, AND A RE-EVALUATION OF MONARCH ALERT'S INTERIM TAGGING PERMIT. THEREFORE, THIS TAGGING PROGRAM IS BEEN SUSPENDED. NO ONE WITH TAGS PREVIOUSLY OBTAINED THROUGH THIS PROGRAM HAS PERMISSION TO USE THEM. WE ARE WORKING WITH SOUTHWEST MONARCH STUDY TO OBTAIN A NEW PERMIT, AND TRANSFER THE TAGGING PROGRAM TO THEM. IF AND WHEN THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED, WE WILL ADVERTISE BROADLY. THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING.
Previously, in order to receive tags, you would have needed to (PROCESS NOW SUSPENDED):
- Complete our online training by reading our educational pages to learn about Danaus plexippus, and then watching our instructional videos.*
- Once you feel knowledgeable about Monarchs, take our assessment.
- Prior to requesting tags, please refer to our "Roles and Responsibilities" page to decide which kind of tagging category you or your group should fall under.
- Okay, now you are ready to request tags! Thank you for helping us comply with California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife regulations.
- You are REQUIRED to submit your data. Want to fill out your Citizen Science data on a hard copy? Print one of these out! Want to fill out your Citizen Science Data online so that you don't have to mail it in? Fill this form out! This is another CDFW requirement.
*If you have multiple seasons of tagging experience, you may qualify as a Monarch Alert Partner and can skip the instructional information and proceed directly to Step 2.
Thank you for joining us. Happy Tagging!